Thursday, January 8, 2009

January 8, 2009

Today in class we had several interesting and thought provoking discussions. The one the stuck out the most in my mind was that of privilege, specifically heterosexual privilege. As brought out , privilege entails power. Now, for me, the word power in this instance has a bad under current. It's almost as if I want the benefits that power brings without actually saying I have any power. To actually acknowledge this power, is like saying I have done something wrong or I am a bad person of sorts. So one is either pseudo-humble about their power/privilege or ignores it all together. Our professor's statement about not having to carry around a state issued card declaring my union to my husband opened my eyes to the heterosexual privilege I do have. And in defense I wanted to trivialize it and point to what I would label as a larger source of privilege-white privilege-and say, "well I don't hold that power". As noted in the readings, it is always easier for a person to see the privilege in others and not the ones they happen to benefit from. I couldn't imagine not being able to openly love the person I choose to love and legally marry that person because of a privilege or the lack thereof. Yet at the same time, why would I have to even imagine it (prior to taking this course), because heterosexuality is my norm. It is my power that society says is OK for me to possess. Society says I should be proud of this power and use it as the measuring stick for all other groups to stand up to. But when your eyes have been opened to the hurt and exclusion this power brings, I can no longer opt out of the conflict by remaining silent. Yes heterosexuality is my choice, but why should my choice dictate how and who others choose to love and spend the rest of their lives with...

1 comment:

  1. Very cool - reminds me of the challenges in the feminist movement, which was dominated by white middle & upper class women to such an extent that being feminst was equated with being racist and classist. I think one of the readings for today mentioned that too. But these early feminists were not aware of the power they had in relationship to minority women - not a good way to build a movement.

    I like the concept of oppression because it helps create a common ground that we all inhabit as targets (and as agents!), helping us to work together to create change. It help change the question from "which type of oppression is worse" to "what are the effects of oppression" and "what do we have in common."

    I also like the idea that "an injury to one is an injury to all"

    ReplyDelete