Thursday, January 15, 2009

January 15, 2009

Today's class discussion focused on race and race relations in America. As one can imagine, it was an extremely passionate discussion. I personally appreciated every one's honesty, who spoke up and it is from the experiences of others that we can all gain knowledge and growth from. However, as intriguing as the arguments were, my focus will be on the assigned readings centered around this discussion. In the article, "The Continuing Significance of Race..." I identify with the author's observation that some White people think minority groups play the "race card" too often and too quickly. I have had acquaintances go as far as saying that this "card" is the crutch that is holding Black people back from becoming productive members of society. I am glad the author pointed out the more times than not, the exact opposite is true, particularly in the middle class. It has been my own experience that I have let certain slights against me pass without confronting the situation out of fear for "crying wolf" one too many times. Every encounter of discrimination told in this article is sadly a story the majority of Black people face on some level and in some combination on a daily basis. This is our reality. Imagine if you lived in a society where you were constantly chasing something and every time you come close to catching it, a stumbling block is thrown in your path; sending you right back to the starting line. Think of how frustrating and exhausting and draining that would become. That has been my experience in chasing the American dream of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Everyday I feel I am getting closer to achieving this equality and everyday discrimination rears its ugly head, forcing me to pray the next day will be better, especially for the generations to come.

1 comment:

  1. I just want to say that your discussion is accurate to what I see in todays society. Also, I get absolutly FURIOUS when people play the race card no matter what race they are. For example, when president-elect Obama was elected to office I was upset with everyone for focusing so much on his race as opposed to simply a new leader who could turn the economy around for everyone no matter what race. Even though I know that it was a huge step for the black people, but it should not have been made the focus of the presidency. This is just one example of how race plays a dominant role in our lives.

    ReplyDelete