Wednesday, January 7, 2009

January 7, 2009

Today in Sociology 240, we watched the movie "Mickey Mouse Monopoly." It basically described the way Disney perpetuates stereotypes of racism, sexism and classism to thousands, if not millions of children around the world. It was interesting to watch but not alarming. As a woman of color, I am typically misrepresented and/or under-represented in the media. So why would Disney be any different? Now, don't get me wrong my kids enjoy Mickey Mouse just as much as the next child. However, I feel it is a parent's responsibility to address the issues that affect their children and to have that continuing dialogue. It is not the burden of the media.

1 comment:

  1. But *should* it be the burden of the media? It certainly *could* be - think of all the regulations under which the media currently operates. Would we be better off as a society if the media was more focused on some sort of social improvement (and it is possible) rather than limited to the task of making money? Yes, I know, I'm an idealist - and I think that imagining change is one way to make it happen.

    ReplyDelete