Wednesday, January 21, 2009

January 21, 2009

So I just got back from my Service Learning outing. I work with kids who are socio-economically disadvantaged. I assist them with their homework and they can also read to earn money for their "money" bank. This bank is redeemable on Fridays for various prizes. There were quite a few more kids there today, which made the time fly by. There was this one little boy there who I spent most of my time with. He was in Kindergarten and had the ten page packet of homework to complete by Friday. He was very shy at first, but quickly warmed up to me. The program director said that was only his second day and she was surprised how much he talked to me. The children present were mainly of Hispanic ethnicity. Overall, the kids seem excited about being there. I mean they do try to get over on the director, but she has been working with them for awhile and stays on top of things. One thing I liked was we met the kids coming off the bus. As stated before in a previous blog, all the kids from the apt complex are invited, and the director new all the kids by name (even the ones who didn't come). She stated it was a way to reinforce that the Homework club is a safe place for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment