Wednesday, January 14, 2009

January 14, 2009

Today's blog is dedicated to my service learning activity. I currently volunteer with Mercy Housing. It is an organization the offers affordable housing and on-site services for low-income, elderly and special needs individuals. These services help families stabilize and become successful in their communities. During my time, I help out with the Homework Club, which meets Mon, Wed, and Fri. Any school age child is welcomed with written parental consent. However, the majority of the children come from within the housing complex, where the office is based. The children are given a snack, along with some guidance when completing their homework. Most of the children are African-American and are of lower socio-economic status. The children were typical children to me. I am a mother so I feel more comfortable around kids then maybe someone who does not have any. The kids were very inquisitive about who I was and what I was doing there, but after "warming up" to me I was accepted as if I had been there for months. They were very eager to help me find things, such as where the snacks were and how to turn on the DVD player. I had a really fun time and because I am of the same ethnicity as most of the children, I could relate to them. I was a familiar face. If I were not a part of this social group, I would probably feel sorry for the children and think that they were poor or wonder why more children from that neighborhood didn't take advantage of the free tutoring services. Thus, reinforcing the stereotypes that because of your zip code you are some how less intelligent than those who live in more affluent neighborhoods. However these kids are super bright and funny and kind of tricky at times, but once you get them re-focused they were good to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment